Sunday, June 22, 2008

Perspective

I went away this weekend. A impromptu house sitting trip with my dear friend and her six-year-old daughter to her parents' Lake House. We idled the hours away on the dock, or the screened porch, or sprawled on the living room floor playing marathon hands of UNO and laughing until I couldn't breath. I tried - and was humiliated at - Wii for the first time. We ate cookie dough by the spoonful and then, when the girl went to bed, my friend and I watched a sad movie. And cried. And lamented how we hate sad movies. I read chapter after chapter of my book and slept until 9:00AM. And I took my coffee to the porch to watch the sun on the water in peace, and listen to quiet sounds of a lakeside morning. It was glorious.

And then yesterday afternoon, the carefree hours of the last day started to be strangely uncomfortable. Like a new pair of shoes that made me feel sassy and young at first but eventually started to rub my foot raw. I became increasingly restless to start our trek back home. And when I finally walked back in the door yesterday evening, I breathed a sigh of relief. The noise and chaos of my home settled back on me like a mantle. Heavy with the weight of responsibility but perfect and comforting for how well it fit.

I wish I could do this every month. Go away for a day to rest and rejuvenate. And more importantly be reminded that as irksome as my children can be, I am lost without them. Like a game that seemed fun when I opened the box...until realized the most important pieces were missing.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

that's so sweet :) but the lake house sounds wonderful!!!!

karen said...

What a perfect weekend! I hope you'll have one again in August at WTHS?

Kyla said...

I so know that feeling.

Growin' with it said...

it took me awhile as a young mom to understand how important time away was for EVERYONE! so glad you got a break, your lake house sounded like a retreat. and i absolutely loved your last sentence about the game and important peices!

Kat said...

Amen!

the dragonfly said...

yes...time away is good for us all...but coming home is even better.

Heaven said...

What a lovely post, it put everything right into perspective. :)

Anonymous said...

It is so true. I take my youngest to an in home daycare twice a week. It's so bittersweet because I can't wait to drop her off in the morning and by the afternoon I can't wait to pick her up.

Christine said...

i know what you mean--last weekend i spent a night out with a few girlfriends and we had a slumber party. it was great, but i loved walking back into my own house.

painted maypole said...

such a beautiful post, and oh so true.

And laughing until you can't breath? fantastic! (you know, as long as you finally DO breath, obviously)