Monday, July 21, 2008

Here we go again

It's been kind of a crappy rotten day so far. This shouldn't really surprise me since Mondays and I rarely see eye-to-eye. But I am even more short-tempered and surly than usual.

Because I am going to die of starvation.


I've made it no secret that I have been in a losing battle with my waistline since I started this blog. I have heard that the best approach to weight loss is diet and exercise. But it turns out I don't actually like dieting or exercise. So I tried another approach.

"Don't exercise, Eat what I want, and ignore the fact I am packing on weight like a bear preparing for winter."

This approach was much more enjoyable. However the resulting two clothing sizes in the last year is getting kinda hard to ignore. So I started another diet. I am actually doing pretty well. I mean, my goodness, just the fact that it's 2PM and I am still on the diet means it's more successful than my last dozen efforts.

But I am starving. Did I mention I'm starving? I might wither away to nothing by the end of this post.

My family doesn't like it when I jump back on the weight-loss-wagon (Besides The Man who is probably relieved but knows better than to say so) because I throw all the good food away. And because food detox makes me really grouchy.

And my dog, whom I love nearly as much as carbs has started peeing all over our house. We discovered a bee's nest outside her doggy door and although we have eliminated it she's terrified to go out there. So a couple times a day I drag her outside hoping eventually she will realize the threat is gone.

And Ben has started having accidents again. And Clara thinks it's fun to take off her diaper and pee on the floor. So it feels like all I am doing today is cleaning up after people/animals that can't seem to urinate in their designated spots!

And when I got to Sam's Club today I realized I had left my wallet in my Sunday School bag from yesterday. So I had to drive all the way back home again to get it.

Sigh.

However...

When I finally got back to Sam's, instead of buying myself a bulk size bag of chocolate - which would be my normal response to a crappy rotten day - I saw this:
It was all three movies people! And I just had to get it.

And suddenly my day became better, because all that Anne Shirley/Megan Follows melodrama in one box...Oh my! I can't tell you how much I adored these as a kid. Allison is watching them right now. (We watched them together after she read the books.) But as much as I would like, I cannot plop down next to her because I have to go grocery shopping. Just so my silly family can have dinner tonight.

But just knowing they are there waiting for me makes me all warm and fuzzy. Well kinda warm and fuzzy. I'd be more warm and fuzzy knowing they were waiting for me with popcorn. And Reeses Pieces.

Stupid diet.

18 comments:

Kyla said...

Hey, if there was a beehive in our restroom, you can bet I'd be peeing elsewhere. ANYWHERE else. I'm very, very scared of bees. I had to have my parents come kill one in my kitchen a few weeks ago. Yes, I called my mommy and daddy. Yes, I am a chicken.

KayTar puts on her bee costume and tells me, "I'm a buzzy bee, Mommy, run away and say AGGHH!"

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, I love those movies. I can't wait to watch them with my daughters. Hopefully, I'll be able to eat the popcorn, but time will tell. I'm doing my best not to eat off the kids plates.

Chrissy said...

oooh, I want to go to Sam's club now. I love those movies.

Hope your day gets better.

Marit said...

My heart bleeds for you... STUPID DIETS!! I am in the same predicament, but have not yet been able to make the decision to go on the diet.....
Love the Anne of Green Gables books though!!

Beck said...

If I support you enough, do you think that I'll have some sympathy weight loss without that diet and exercise stuff? Because BLEH, I hate it.
GOod luck, you!

karen said...

Any chance you'd be willing to send those to me for WTHS? We will be in Canada and all...and Gilbert? Yummy.

Lori said...

I can't wait to watch those movies with Pumpkin some day!! Sometimes I get almost giddy thinking about all of the movies and books I want to share with her once she is old enough. I pray all the time she will be sort of girl who will love them like I did (yes, I pray those sorts of selfish prayers).

I'm sorry about the diet- and what feels like a never ending battle. I've been there and I hate to say it but exercise is absolutely critical for me to maintain any sort of reasonable weight. Diet is important too, but I have to exercise because otherwise I have to deprive myself of too much food!! I see exercise as my ticket to eating (still in moderation, of course) which helps to motivate me to get moving!

LMP said...

1. I love Anne with an E, too. And I think it's only fitting that the redheaded Karen get to view those while in Canada.
2. When did "crappy" become a bad word? Why does the list of forbidden words continually increase? I love that one.
3. If you're starving, you'll never lose weight. Eat something or your metabolism will assume you're starving and slow down to save you. How about an apple with some peanut butter? Perhaps some cheese?

Chaotic Joy said...

@ Lisa-Crappy is one of my favorite words. They just didn't appreciate it when Ben started saying "Well, Crap" at the Baptist preschool.

@ Karen-Anything for you my dear. Do you want me to send them all?

Lisa Spence said...

I dearly love Anne! Loved the mini series too, especially the first which was so similar to the book...

pinkmommy said...

Oh how I love Anne with an E.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh!!!! that's my all time favorite movie series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Gilbert Blythe? mmmmmmmmmmmm

Heaven said...

Oh my we are having almost the same day. Sigh, at least I'm not alone.

Hope you enjoy a little bit of Canadiana!

thailandchani said...

Found you on Slouching Mom and since I also deal with this very same thing, I wanted to recommend a book to you. No diet. Exercise, of course.. but not in excess.

It's called "The Yoga of Eating". The approach is very different than traditional "will power" based dieting techniques.

I can't say I've lost much weight.. but I haven't applied the principles, either.

On some level, I've accepted that I like to eat.. but dislike the consequences. :)

~*

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the weight loss...It is tough! I have an 8 month old and at some point I have to stop blaming it on him!:)

I am so happy to hear that someone else loved/loves the Anne of Green Gables movies. I watched all of them growing up. My friends and I used to even have Anne of Green Gables parties and make the things they made, etc. Such good memories. I have three boys and those movies are one of the few things that makes me want to try again for a little girl!:) Enjoy watching them with your daughter.

Paula said...

Yay! Yay! I love Anne! Hope you had fun watching. I totally sympathize with the dieting. My problem is eating at night (she typed, between stuffing handfuls of potato chips in her mouth while slouched slovenly on the couch in front of the TV)...

Amy Wyatt said...

Joy,
Sorry it's been a rough day. I'm back on the weight loss wagon too. Seeing myself in a bathing suit was just too much.
BTW... I left you an award over on my site.
Come by to visit.