Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bosom Friends


2007 At Medieval Times for Allie's 11th Birthday

When Shane and I were married, his niece Taylor was at our wedding. She was eighteen months at the time and throughout the ceremony she said my name in a happy sing-song voice that everyone could hear.
"Doy, Doy, Doy...Doy, Doy, Doy" repeated incessantly during our vows.
It's really the only thing I remember about the ceremony and I think she officially captured my heart at that moment. Two weeks later my own daughter, Allison, was born and I had high hopes for them to grow up as friends. I have not been disappointed.
Taylor was Allison's very first friend. Her first sleepover. Her first secret-keeper. Her first girly-spat. She was her first phone, email, and instant message pal. As the years have gone on, Allie has made many other friends. In fact I think she has had a different "best friend" every school year. But when she is giddy, or when her heart is hurting it's Taylor she always calls. And this gives me joy, because with Taylor I know that Allison is her true self. With no pretense or second guessing. And we all should be so lucky as to have such a friend.
This weekend Allie was allowed to chose one friend to go with us to "Medieval Times" for her birthday, and so it seemed only natural to both of us that Taylor be the one to come along. Yesterday I watched them as they walked, looking more like young ladies now than little girls, arm-and-arm through the mall whispering and giggling together. During the show they clung to each other squealed in mock terror that their knight might be vanquished. Then last night they came up in their pajamas and performed songs for me as they have done almost since they could talk.
Finally at midnight, I stood outside the guest room door (just for a moment, I swear) and listened to them whispering secrets. And I felt a burst of giddiness at the hope that no matter where life takes them, this connection, forged in the fires of growing up, will always remain.

"We must join hands--so," said Anne gravely. "It ought to be over running water. We'll just imagine this path is running water. I'll repeat the oath first. I solemnly swear to be faithful to my bosom friend, Diana Barry, as long as the sun and moon shall endure. Now you say it and put my name in."

Diana repeated the "oath" with a laugh fore and aft. Then she said:

"You're a queer girl, Anne. I heard before that you were queer. But I believe I'm going to like you real well." ~L. M. Montgomery
2006
2002

8 comments:

LMP said...

Ah, Anne. I pity any little girl whose mother doesn't introduce her to that fiery redhead. I think I'll go call my bosom friend right now...

Kyla said...

Oh! I love the photo comparison. They sure are turning into young ladies, aren't they? Beautiful young ladies, too.

S said...

Kyla's right. They are both beautiful.

What lucky girls they are, to have each other, as they navigate the bumpy road of girlhood.

painted maypole said...

so sweet. I wish I had a friend like that.

Beck said...

What beautiful girls! My kids have NO cousins - your children are blessed.

Lori said...

This is exactly what I hope for between my daughter and my niece, who are only 8 months apart. My daughter will never get to grow up with a sister, and so her cousin will be closest thing she could have. I really hope they are like your beautiful girls!

Christine said...

oh how wonderful it is to have such a great friend.

and you gave me anne! i just returned her to the library. i love her so.

Bea said...

I want this so much for my daughter, a best friend - a good one. Because I don't know how I would have made it without mine.