Thursday, November 29, 2007

Day 28

Today I am thankful for my children who were, all four of them, conceived without difficulty. Who were carried to term, with no problems beyond those of typical pregnancy discomfort. Who were born healthy and strong in deliveries that were relatively complication free. I am thankful for the sleepless nights I spent in my home feeding them, rocking them, walking with them until I could barely stand. I am thankful for the anger they have caused me and the tears I have shed on their behalf.

This week some friends of mine delivered twins at 25 weeks after years of trying to conceive and several rounds of IVF. Those babies are struggling just to to take a breath. We are all praying just for their hearts to keap beating. Each day we get an update, because for their parents each day is simply another battle that wasn't lost.

I have friends who have recently lost babies and those who have never been able to conceive them. I have cried for them. My heart breaks for them, but I don't know what it's like to be them. I couldn't possibly.

But today I know that each day that I walk on this side of that darkness is a blessing. A fragile blessing that I have not earned. And for the days that I have forgotten this, and the days, too soon, that I will forget again - I am truly sorry.

5 comments:

painted maypole said...

yes.

Christine said...

i so hope those two babies are ok. update us?

Lori said...

Oh. I am praying for your friends twins. I'm so sorry for all they are facing, and all they will continue to face, regardless of the outcome. It's a long road....

It's okay that you forget sometimes. Even we moms who know intimately how fragile the balance is, how easily a blessing can turn into tragedy, still forget sometimes. But I try to remember at least once, every single day. To look at the three I got to keep, and praise God for the miracles they are.

Kyla said...

I know. My friend Katie met with hospice yesterday regarding her Jakie. I can't fathom it.

We are blessed, even through difficulties.

Lisa Spence said...

a fragile blessing I have not earned

Wise words, my friend. Have I told you how much I appreciate your honesty and transparency? I'm quite sure I have, no doubt each comment I make, because it is what keeps me returning.